Monday, May 2, 2011

DOG LEATHER


I didn't hear much about this Dog Leather LP when it was released earlier this year, but I'm getting really into Greezy Man and Stinky Man Meets Smutty Ranks On Tarantula Hill after catching their live show twice in the past month or so, including the other nite opening for Lightning Bolt at 285 Kent.

Dog Leather is the duo of DJ Dog Dick and Sewn Leather, two dudes whose music I am admittedly just vaguely familiar with. The two cover a weird range of brutal noise/junked downtempo hip hop, usually spitting heavily distorted, barely intelligible rhymes about Gorilla Glue, goblins, garbage, ogres and blunts. According to Pictureplane, "These kids aren't trying to be rappers, they are just being themselves" and that's exactly the vibe I get from their live show -- two dudes who like to make a shit-ton of obliterating noise come together to riff on outsider scum life and swallow the audience in the process. In a good way. Like, a few people leave the room with their fingers in their ears but the vast majority are so so drawn to it. Video Evidence.

The best part? Shit's available as a pay-what-you-want download from Ehse Records in addition to 12" LP and CDR. Album centerpiece and general oddball "Do Gleat Her" is available for stream below, but don't let it fool you -- dudes are usually way more intense, like no flutes and Summery hip hop bass grooves. For the noisier stuff, check the rad homemade videos below.

(P.S. "Goblin Massacre" probably isn't a @fucktyler dis but I'm curious to know what he'd think about these dudes)



Dog Leather - Do Gleat Her by Bmore Musically Informed







(image via Google Search)

2 comments:

Salaried Man Club said...

Was at the show. Heard most of it from behind the "wall" (curtain) cause my "friend" was late with the tix.
Anyhow...beginning of the set was fucking killer, sonically adventurous, uproarious. Then they dipped their toes in their own mirrors and got a little indulgent. The Dog Dick warble became unbearable. The sounds more muddled. Didn't dig.

Overall, still a fan. Consider them one of few must-check-outs in BK.

Anonymous said...

My Sadie girl who has been gone for 4 years now. She was my college dog and went everywhere with me for 14 years, sharing everything...dating and marrying my husband, having two kids, loads of moves. She was the most dedicated dog to all she loved (me, the tree in the yard she occasionally killed squirrels from and of course, my babies). My favorite color is of course, turquoise!
English Bulldog Puppies for sale