Friday, August 7, 2009

WOODS @ GREAT SCOTT


Woods was thoroughly enjoyable last night, well worth the jittery, coffee-fueled wee-hours trudge home. When Woods is tight, they're very tight and when they're loose and jammy it's a-okay - Grateful Dead jam-outs, slack Pavement guitar drawls and some unidentified and unmatched rootsy soul. They played about ten songs, including Songs of Shame tracks "Rain On," "To Clean," "The Number," "Down This Road," "The Hold," Graham Nash's "Military Madness" and a new song which I was not familiar with for an encore. I picked up a copy of Lucas's crazy tape loop stuff he does as Nonhorse, which I made the mistake of not doing when he played at the Elevens earlier this year.







-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other rad stuff that happened while in greater Boston area:

Stopped at the Whitehaus, as in the Whitehaus Family Record, and talked with Shane (Many Mansions) and other Whitehaus dudes about their upcoming WEIRDSTOCK three-day weirdo experimental extravaganza. I'll do a full post about this very exciting event very soon.

Shane turned me on to this very cool dude Rene Netherlands and hooked me up with a CD of his. I'll post about him sometime soon.

I completely randomly ran into Sawyer from Underwater Peoples and a couple cohorts at the Woods show. Very cool dude. Had no idea he lived in Boston OR that he interned at Harvard (ooh la la). Clued me into his upcoming months-long trip to China, where he will continue to write Family Portrait songs and hopefully when he gets back there will be enough tracks for an EP. Oh, and there's still that upcoming Family Portrait/Andrew Cedermark split to get excited for. And of course the Underwater Peoples Showcase at the Market Hotel August 22 which I am dead set on attending.

No comments: