Wednesday, April 6, 2011

TANGENTS REQUEST #035


LISTEN TO FBUS_RADIO ON NEWTOWN RADIO
TODAY AND EVERY WEDNESDAY FROM 6-8PM EST



Today I am requesting Unknown Mortal Orchestra's "fFunny fFrends." I've been really taken by this fuzzy little pop jam. The lo-fi melody is familiar yet new, nostalgic & catchy. It reminds me of being really stoned in the afternoon at this old friend's pad, which was right by the beach in San Clemente. We'd come home from being at the beach all day & just lay around the living room, all salty, laughing about dumb shit you laugh about when you're high & watching the sun change positions across the stark white walls. I love music that takes me somewhere, and not to reinforce any Chris Weingarten-ish remarks about how we're all about "nostalgia," but I especially love music that takes me somewhere I've already been & can make that moment alive again. My friend, the one who lived by the beach, was always on my case about "internalizing music" & how everything didn't have to remind me of something. It doesn't have to remind me of something, but I think it's a lovely & welcomed coincidence when it does.





Marissa A. Ross is a Los Angeles-based writer, music connoisseur, blogger & an all out enthusiast for leisurely activities. She is kind of funny, but no one really gives a shit because she has awesome hair. Marissa enjoys cheap wine, sunbathing & jerking off to vintage motel postcards on Flickr.

No comments: