Thursday, August 25, 2011

FLEER ULTRA


So Stephen Bruner a.k.a. Thundercat is this berserk bass player who is something like Flying Lotus's protege and he also plays in Suicidal Tendencies (I know, right) and he has played on the last couple Erykah Badu records and he's all set to release his Flying Lotus-produced debut solo record The Golden Age Of Apocalypse through Brainfeeder (where else?) on August 30. The length of the album is a gorgeous blend of bubbling jazz fusion and soulful space age electronics, an essential listen for anyone who needs to just chill out and get a grip. The record's most serious soul bleeds through in his George Duke cover "For Love I Come," melting pants off during the song's sensual opening with mischievous bass fingerings then really picking up in the second half where the drummer kicks in. I wish I could share my favorite tracks with you ("Fleer Ultra" and "It Really Doesn't Matter To You" are a couple), but all the label is offering is the Duke cover so enjoy that and then buy the record next week.



Thundercat - For Love I Come


No comments: