Thursday, June 18, 2009

Coincidence


After the radio show last night I headed over to 145 South Street in Northampton to check out Predator Vision (Matt Mondanile, Etienne Duguay, Ben Daly etc). First thing's first - they were very very good. Everyone gets the Can influence with them, but it was extremely apparent in the live show. Throw in some Sabbath sounds and perhaps those of some newer psychers like Psychic Ills or Sun Araw and maybe one can imagine the sound. Churning stretches of guitar and bass, persistent drums, general shredding/noodling/"jamming."

Download both Predator Vision and Predator Vision II here (via Pukekos) then BUY II here.

Download Predator Vision's split with Sun Araw here (via Google Search, not my upload) then BUY here.

Although Predator Vision was decidedly great, the best part of last night came right after their set. I walked upstairs and was talking with my buddy Gabriel (who was spinning dusty garage + soul jams as DJ Oatmeal Raisin) who got talking to Matt and PV's bassist who turned out to be Friendship Bracelet constant Julian Lynch. Apparently he's been filling in their past few shows and has had a blast doing it. I talked to him for what seemed like an hour out on the porch sharing cigarettes and rambling on about his music, studies and travel. He's a straight up super-positive guy, just wide-eyed and ready to talk about anything.

He warned me of a Missouri town where he played a show with eight racist metal bands ("that said the N-word on stage and dressed like Insane Clown Posse"). He warned me about living in a big city (being held an gunpoint, generally cold people), which I appreciated since I have never done so. He talked about his ethnomusicology graduate studies at the University of Wisconsin Madison, where his thesis is derived from the devotional bag pipe and drum music of Asia (namely Jersey's Swamibapa Pipe Band). He also talked about a lot of his friends' musics including Ducktails, Real Estate, Sad City, Fluffy Lumbers, Pill Wonder etc etc.

He's going to be sending me over his split with Ducktails as well as an album he recorded last November, Garden Is Adventure sometime soon along with a track that was left off Orange You Glad for an upcoming compilation I'm curating. He's also going to give me the low-down on some Madison bands to look out for. Check him out playing with Ducktails and Fluffy Lumbers when they play the Market Hotel in Brooklyn June 27, I believe I'll be there.

SPEAKING OF THE COMPILATION IF ANYONE OUT THERE HAS MUSIC THEY'D WANT ME TO HEAR IN ANY CAPACITY MY EMAIL IS iprnelson@gmail.com AND PERHAPS I WILL CONSIDER THROWING SOME MUSIC I FIND THROUGH VARIOUS INTERNET CREVICES ON THERE. STAY TUNED.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SPEAKING OF JERSEY:



Titus Andronicus will be playing with Ted Leo and Alottle at the Easthampton High School Gymnasium tonight at 8PM for $10. What would have been the first Flywheel show in their new location has turned into more of a benefit for the Flywheel as construction and the like have prevented them from hosting shows just yet.

No comments: