Friday, February 27, 2009

"My name is Weezy. I'm almost perfect."

"Even when I'm layin on my back I'm never backin down
So over-stand me:
I got a condo in Miami
And my doormat is always sandy
And I run Louisiana, but I've never pulled a hammy
And I got a condo in Atlanta
And I always wear a bandana
And when it comes down to stuntin
You boys is just buntin
And I'm swingin for the fence"


What I'm trying to prove in this post is that, no, Lil' Wayne isn't quite as flawless as he tells you he is. He blasts you with boasts ("Hi, my name is 'Best Rapper Alive' and your mouth is the best crapper alive"), but in reality only half of his newest mixtape, Hottest Nigga Under the Sun, is really worth spinning.

First of all, there's 26 tracks. That's enough for each letter of the alphabet (note: "Ransom" ft Drake). It starts strong, as the mixtape commandments surely dictate, offering a quick one-minute clip from potential album feature "My Name Is" before the heavy spitting of "New Orleans Maniac." Soon thereafter we find "Filet Mignone," where Wayne bleeds sugar over the chorus of "I wish I could fuck every girl in the world." No joke. This directly precedes "Yes," which features Pharrell on a few-lines verse as well as the chorus. Other highlights include "Blow My Mind," the soulful "Murder" ft Trey Songz, and "Ay Man" ft Metatron, which reaches above and beyond banger status.

The problem I'm running into is I don't get beyond the first half of the mixtape. It's almost enough material for two albums, so I suppose I've digested the first. Now time to tackle the second, which may take weeks since the first half did. Do yourself a favor and check it out (as long as you aren't offended by his filthy flows which happen often).

Lil Wayne - The Hottest Nigga Under the Sun

P.S. Let's hope these gun possession charges (via MTV UK) don't affect Wayne's ability to bust out track after track (well maybe except for that "rock album" Rebirth, which is scheduled for release on May 19). He's due in court April 20 to deal with the gun evidence. Cue weed jokes.

No comments: