Monday, November 3, 2008

Slowdive





Upon listening to Deerhunter all afternoon, I remembered that there were some songs on Atlas Sound's Let the Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel that reminded me of UK shoegaze babes Slowdive. Their Souvlaki record is one of my favorites ever, and I happened to come across a working link. Brian Eno co-produced a couple tracks, "Sing" and "Here She Comes," and it shows. Otherwise it's some real icy cold songs with soaring guitars and dreamy vocals. Pygmalion was Slowdive's next and last record, two years later in 1995, really straying from any Pop sensibilities at all. The textures are spacey and hazy, rolling along in circular motions until they dissolve into each other.

Slowdive - Souvlaki

Slowdive - Pygmalion


P.S. I can't believe Obama + McCain were both just on Monday Night Football with Chris "Boomer" Berman.

P.P.S. Speaking of the election, sad quote in the McCain article in the NYT today:

"During the day he gets almost no exercise, eats the candy and junk food strewn all over his bus, and naps slumped in his seat in the curtained-off front section of his plane. The national reporters he once called his "base" remain banished in the back; aides say he is convinced that they are all rooting for Obama."

I feel bad.. Maybe I'll vote for him tomorrow.

Speaking of which, this is great

No comments: