Tuesday, February 9, 2010

CAVEMAN SNACK


Yesterday Leaving Records announced the official release of DEM HUNGER's CAVEMAN SMACK tape, now available for pre-order, shipping two weeks from today. Aside from the seven tape tracks your order will include:



* "BUBBA BUBBA SUFI" art booklet by DEM HUNGER.
*Cassette-only "FRIED HORSE" eight minute mix of source material and inspired sounds used in CAVEMAN SMACK.
*Cassette-only “MOSQUE VIBRATIONS (md ragamix)” matthewdavid over-processed phasing estuary interpretation.
*MP3 secret-code download.




After these initial few listens I seriously urge you to pre-order a tape. Inside I find new versions of DEM I haven't heard before nudged right up next to sounds whose origins I'll never know but will forever be branded with his name. I'm thrown into a whirlwind, disorienting and catastrophic like some Great Plains Judy Garland shit, being lifted right off my foundations. I land in a world very similar to the one I left behind, but cleaner cut, more defined and vibrant. Sky is fake blue. Grass is more green. All cheeks are rosy. I recognize everyone, though every step I take is entirely new.

One's sense of time is blurred as well. There's so many cuts and gaps and stops and starts it's hard to get one's footing. This proves to be an exciting and at times unsettling experience - drawing the listener in and grabbing attention with cryptic, toasted vinyl crackles and soulful tones yet repelling them with more coherent, at times angered outbursts both rhythmically and verbally. It's like spending a day on a sped-up planet where the tide goes out and comes back dozens of times every 'day' measured in Earth-time. The moon passes by so often it's hard to tell whether it's night or day. Moods swing violently. Insomniac chaos ensues. Should I be sleeping or working? When was the last time I brushed my teeth? Am I hungry? Can I mow the lawn in the dark?



Check out "ELECTRIC SHITHOLE" below, BUY A TAPE and wait a few weeks.





DEM HUNGER - ELECTRIC SHITHOLE



(image via DEM HUNGER but he probably stole it from that husser Auntie of yers SHELLEY DUVALL)

1 comment:

md said...

vroom vroom scuzzy wuzzy baba 3D glasses chirpy whirpy. Ian your a fantastic writer, can we hire you?