Tuesday, December 1, 2009

THE YEAR IN WAYNE PART 2


Ugh. This mixtape almost makes me want to take back everything I said in the last post. Lil Wayne trying to "rock out" or be a "rock star" kinda reminds me of how uncool Dave Coulier and Bob Saget were next to John Stamos on Full House. I mean... Uncle Jesse was in a ROCK N ROLL BAND. Uncle Joey just fucked wit puppets and Danny was a straight up wiener. Wayne, please.. for all the fans out there... listen - BE JESSE KATSOPOLIS.

Public Enemy

I remember when this appeared and all my P-field dudes were so happy some new Wayne dropped... and then we listened... and we quickly forgot. I mean seriously... this shit's loaded with awful DJ drops, machine gun clip emptying and disgraceful nu-metal beats. First track "Human" would've certainly been better if it was anything other than what it was, even if it was verses over The Killers' "Human." Wayne, you are not a rockstar. Wayne counters:

"Rockstar shit from my rockstar ass
got a tub full of money that's a rockstar bath
then I use more money to wipe my rockstar ass
then I throw it in the garbage - that's rockstar trash"


I'm not even going to go into the second track. The third, "Another Planet," is where the party can start back up because if you put either of those first two tracks on at a party I'd be surprised if everyone didn't get the fuck out of there. This track is with Huey (you know, "Pop, Lock & Drop It") and I'ma assume it's about gettin fucked up and having a GREAT time - I'm talking buying the bar, lots of ladies, little-to-no clothes. Yeah there's those dumb watermarks but really, it don't get much better than Wayne referring to himself as "Mr. He Took My Girl." He also admits to consuming "syrup by the crate." That's cough syrup for all yall outa the loop.


Lil Wayne Ft. Huey - Another Planet


There's some more middling shit before what must be Weezy's most embarrassing moment, "Girls Forever," what P-field begrudgingly calls "The Beach Boys song" for some reason. Gotta be cos it's Wayne ya know.. tryna do that rockstar shit but this time filtered through some sort of summery pop bullshit. If you decide to listen you will cringe. 'Nuff said.

"Mr. Gangsta" ain't bad. Features some dude named Smitty who does this Pusha T -esque "yuuuck" thing to no effect, but Wayne is on first so you can skip to the next track if you want after this line:

"Weezy bionic
Wayne ionic
get up in that ass like a colonic
we don't do drive-bys, we do pull-ups like Sonic"


"We Be Steady Mobbin" sees Wayne gettin on some Hottest Nigga shit, a crisp beat and actual memorable lines (shit like "I don't care, I 'so what' these bitches" and "You can't reach me on my Samsung - I'm too busy fuckin the world and givin the universe my damn tongue"). Unfortunately Gucci Mane kinda drops the ball with his whole mumbly goon thing, but like I said, Weezy kills. Oh, and he recycles that "what's a good to a goblin" line from "A Milli" for the chorus and it totally works.

Scrolling down the tracklist yields few highlights, and actually listening to the whole thing is painful and boring. One other highlight, however, is a track called "The Best," which finds Mr. Carter gettin sexy again talkin all smooth for the ladies like

"I hope she throw away the key too
got me tied up like a three-piece suit
got a sweet tooth
Miss Caramel I need three scoops"


It's almost like has feelings when he begs the Misses for the sweets, but remember - he's hopped on the purp. Kanye's on this shit too and his verse ain't bad ("a fishstick nigga now we messin wit lobster"). His chorus kills though, super laid-back summer groove shit that draws the listener in and caresses the ear ever so softly - I'm talkin piano tinkles, huge sweeps of strings, awesome airy vocal samples... almost "Every Girl"-caliber.

I believe this is also the first time I ever heard "I'm Goin In" (not to be confused with "Goin In") and "Rollers," two of his most ridiculous tracks of the year. The former certainly has one of the best opening lines of the mixtape, transforming the word "doing" (as in "how are you doing?") into "dern," either some Cajun accent shit or a great use of artistic license to rhyme with "urine." Shit features Drake, whose first line is great as well:

"First off you know what it is if ya heard Drake
makin hos wobble like a bridge in an earthquake"


"Rollers" goes hard - heavy-huge beat, tons of nasty imagery ("I'm the shit - I am funky like I never bathe"). Don't really care for the Juelz Santana verse, but the chorus makes up for it.

P.S. on these last two tracks - better versions with no drops are available on the Official White Label mixtape.

There's some other stuff that ain't bad but seriously there's better Wayne shit. The "rock"-heavy first half just ruins the mixtape for me.. and the second half has a bunch of stuff that had already been available or went on to be on different/better mixtapes. Probably for Wayne-heads only.





Lil Wayne - Public Enemy

No comments: