Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Joy



David Byrne played the Calvin Theatre tonight. Best show I've seen this year, I do declare. "The Great Curve" was unreal, something I never thought I'd be able to see live. The set consisted of mostly Talking Heads songs with some David Byrne/Brian Eno collaboration stuff spliced in between. The whole theatre was packed with aging Talking Heads fans, who got down at their seats or in the aisles, begging three, count em three encores, the second of which surprisingly contained "Burning Down the House." He and his band also played "Once In a Lifetime" (phenomenal), "Life During Wartime" (rock n roll), and some My Life in the Bush of Ghosts stuff (souped up with weird lyrics in place of samples). Stay tuned for a proper review.

It must be noted how rad the dancers were who accompanied Byrne onstage, as well as the perfect lighting and everyone in all white.

Also, up top there is a bike rack which is a series which Byrne has designed for the city of New York.

Unrelated:



Eleanoora Rosenholm has been catching my attention lately. They're not the only Finns to raise eyebrows this year - Paavoharju has gotten much praise for its less pop-oriented Laulu Laakson Kukista - but I haven't heard anything about em. Their website and Myspace pages are both in Finnish, so I still do not know much about em except they're a trio and the singer's name is Noora Tommila. Their debut Vainajan Muotokuva (Fonal) came out quietly this past June, and they apparently released another album, Ala Kysy Kuolleilta He Sanoivat in October. I've only heard the former. It's a moody blend of hazy electronics, multi-layered vocals, eerie orchestration, and synth-pop hooks.

Here's a creepy video for the last track on the record, "Maailmanloppu."

No comments: