Monday, December 1, 2008

Africa Comps





With year-end lists shaping up and all, I can't help but feel weird putting a compilation on a year-end list. Since that's the case I'd like to mention how much I've been digging this Analog Africa compilation African Scream Contest: Raw and Psychedelic Afro Sounds. It's a great listen, very funk-heavy all the way through. The various vocalists are all, for the most part, excellent, belting out some crazy notes over multiple percussion layers and shredding guitars. Probably my favorite comp I've heard all year.

VA - African Scream Contest: Raw and Psychedelic Afro Sounds

Also mentioned in some year-end lists is Nigeria Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds, and Nigerian Blues (Soundway). What I'm confused about is exactly why, since the record's listed as being issued last November. It's certainly a great blend of sounds, but not as in-your-face as some of the Scream Contest stuff, which actually did come out this year.

VA - Nigeria Special: Modern Highlife, Afro-Sounds, and Nigerian Blues







Eleanoora Rosenholm

No comments: