Monday, January 19, 2009

IHEG Upcoming

The Iron Horse Entertainment Group's Spring calendar has been lookin' pretty slim these days. Easy answer? Bad economy. Who knows. They've got a few shows of interest coming up in the month of February, however:

Feb 6 Pearl Street Clubroom - High Places w/ Soft Circle, Eric Hnatow 9PM


I listened to the newer self-titled High Places record last night and was met with two feelings: Firstly I remembered how bouncy and catchy all their songs were and secondly I was struck with the boredom associated with the record due to remaining within a comfort zone. Their previous recordings collected on 03/07-09/07 were perkier, offering some variation and some real pep. They were wonderful opening for No Age last summer at the Middle East in Cambridge. Actually, High Places were probably better than them. Speaking of No Age, opener Soft Circle also opened for No Age (along with Silk Flowers) last November when they played Clark University's venue The Grind. Dude drummed hard over looped guitars or bass and was nice to watch until repetition got the best of him. I needn't describe Eric Hnatow, for I've talked about him many times, but he's always fun to watch. The first time I saw him was actually in the same place this show will be, Pearl Street Clubroom opening for Dan Deacon. Magic.

Feb 7 Iron Horse Music Hall - Passion Pit w/ Paper Route, Cale Parks 10PM


Passion Pit's from Cambridge. Their Chunk of Change EP is alright, disco for almost cool kids. Michael Angelakos recorded the whole thing himself and the six songs are sort of hit or miss. He hits when he gets real melodic and dance oriented. He fails when his voice becomes unlistenable and shrill, which luckily doesn't ruin the EP. I don't know much about Paper Route or Cale Parks except that Cale Parks was/is in Aloha and drummed/drums for White Williams.

Feb 14 Iron Horse Music Hall Deer Tick w/ Marissa Nadler 10PM


I mentioned this show before, I believe, but Deer Tick's new record should be out sometime soon and this show should tide everyone around here over til it does. Marissa Nadler is someone I forever will miss when she comes around or is going to play a show I was going to then couldn't, but I'm sure she'd be a real treat.

(awful High Places photo cred: Me)

No comments: