Monday, October 27, 2008

Radio, Radio, Radio. Radio, Radio, Radio..

Ya gotta check out our radio program Sesame Street Bandaids, 10-12 Friday nights 91.1FM or stream at wmua.org - Barry and I spinnin hot jamz between TRGGR Radio and the Marauder in the "electronic/hiphop/eclectic" block. Last Friday I played an hour's worth of hot shit: Kool G Rap, The Animals, The Replacements, The Descendents, Davila 666, Gang of Four, Bow Wow Wow, Gang Gang Dance, El Guincho, Grizzly Bear, Dungen, Castanets, Bon Iver, and The Mamas & The Papas. Each week I try to get a real vast mix in there cos I like not knowing what's comin next. As all college radio plans to do, I try to get as much new stuff in there as I can, whether it's something I've found along the way or something the station had that I randomly picked up, or on the other end of the spectrum, something old and beat that I've grabbed at the record store or something I've found round the apartment that's been lying around. Another great concept at the show is Barry and I selecting our sets blindly from each other, so it's always fresh what I hear from him and he doesn't know what I'm gettin into. Of course I urge all listening to WMUA especially the morning Jazz blox.

Speaking of Jazz, WMUA's solos & duos series is hosting an event this Thursday at Bezanson Recital Hall at UMass's Fine Arts Center: The Nicole Mitchell & Jeff Parker Duo. Mitchell is on her way to becoming he greatest living jazz flutist, according to the press release, while Parker's the multi-dimensional jazz guitarist of Tortoise fame straight outa Chicago (post-Berklee graduation) who has also worked with Chad Taylor and Fred Anderson. Cheap Cheap ticket - $10 general and $5 for adults, should be great - at 8PM.




Conor Oberst [been listening to his new record, gonna catch him at the Northampton Music Academy Thrusday Nov 6 with Ben Kweller as well as Rig 1 (out on Team Love, recommended by Barry) so watch for a review]

1 comment:

mkc said...

trigger radio <3333

if you're getting into el yazz
http://www.myspace.com/hilmarjensson
his band tyft played bhs and it was ahmayzeng